Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Own Goal

Creating goals is relatively easy. We often get stuck at execution and or application level. 

We get stuck because we often set the goals without careful thought. Your goals should be SMART and form part of your perfect average day for the goals to excite you. That way you won't lose steam two weeks into setting the goal and start procrastinating as you've been doing all along. 

By SMART I don't mean having or showing a quick-witted intelligence. I mean:  

S - Specific, Significant 
M - Measurable, Meaningful, Motivational 
A - Attainable, Achievable, Acceptable 
R - Realistic, Reasonable, Rewarding, Relevant 
T - Time Bound

Specific: 

  • What do I want to accomplish?
  • Why is this goal important?
  • Who is involved?
  • Where is it located?
  • Which resources or limits are included?

Measure-arable: 
"Defining the physical manifestations of your goal or objective makes it clearer, and easier to reach."

Attainable: 
Your goals should stretch your abilities but still be possible.

  • How can I accomplish this goal?
  • How practical is the purpose, considering the constraints I may face, i.e., financial difficulties.  

Relevant: 

  • Is this worthwhile?
  • Is this the right time?
  • Does this match my other efforts?
  • Am I skilled or adequately equipped to reach this goal? 

Time-Bound: 

  • When?

Let's practice by setting a broad goal: 

  • Specific: I will become a renowned  subject matter expert on the topic of Contact Centre Operations Management 
  • Measurable: I will consider myself triumphant when I am asked to speak publicly on the discipline monthly, receive regular interview requests and write one article per month for a top industry publication.
  • Attainable: I will accomplish this by qualifying my experience through acquiring an education, strengthening my experience, and marketing.  
  • Relevant: Establishing myself as a Contact Centre Operations Management expert will reinforce my ten years of expertise in the field and allow me to reach business owners who need Contact Centre Operations Management Advice.
  • Time-Based: I want to be considered a Contact Centre Operations Management expert within two years.

Got it? Good. 
Spend the next 48hrs hours setting your own goals, on Thursday we'll discuss your perfect average day. 

1 comment: